Today was the day that my Grandpa went to Heaven. I find it only fitting that because he inspired me to start this blog that I should acknowledge him on this day with a post. So here’s that post.
Things I remember about my Grandpa:
- The smell of his aftershave and hairspray in the morning.
- His big ears.
- He always ate Cheerios or Shredded Wheat for breakfast, with a small glass of orange juice. (Or sometimes the burnt toast my Grandma would make.)
- He’d pass gas and blame it on the dogs.
- He would jangle his change and keys in the pocket of his pants while he was talking to someone.
- He wore itchy tweed jackets to church.
- He loved flowers.
- He had the most organized tool bench ever.
- He loved to go to yard sales, and acquired the largest collection of random, unnecessary items I’ve ever seen.
- We used to watch COPS together.
- He loved peanut butter cookies.
- He whistled constantly… particularly hymns.
- He always had sugar cubes in the glove compartment of his car. (He was a diabetic.)
- He would get us popsicles even after my Grandma had said no.
- He carried around a small black comb.
- He liked to watch us open gifts on Christmas or birthdays.
- He would relentlessly tease.
- He always had the original Chapstick nearby.
I miss him still, and probably always will. Life just hasn’t been the same without him in it, but I am so extremely grateful that God gave me the time with him that I had.
I love you Grandpa and am thinking of you always!